Phapos Gift is about a ten-year-old girl, Phapo. She is a clever and happy girl. But she has a big burden to carry: her father, whom she loves very much, is dying from Aids. All around her, her school friends are getting boyfriends and girlfriends, but Phapo wants nothing more than to make mud cakes unders her favourite tree and dream of beautiful dolls. When the boys start to look at her, her grandma tells her a very special secret: Phapo has a precious, perfect fruit inside her. She alone has the power to treasure or to destroy that fruit.
- Is a truly South African story
- Teaches children about the effects of Aids and the advantages of abstinence
- Is full of colourful characters
- Has dozens of beautiful illustrations
- Is highly relevant to our time.